- Scientific studies and research in the last 5 years has demonstrated that only 30% of heart disease and cancer in America is due to our genes. We now know that 70% of heart disease and cancer in America is caused by what we eat. This means that we as Americans can take control of our health, and reverse the terrible epidemic of heart disease, cancer and diabetes in America.
Cutting edge scientific research shows that a “Plant Based Diet” is the best way to accomplish prevention, and even reversal of heart disease.
Our Eco Healthy Diet is both a lifestyle, and a diet. A Plant Based Diet is basically based on whole or minimally processed plants, primarily fruits, vegetables, whole grains, tubers, and legumes. It excludes or minimizes animal-based foods such as meat (including poultry and fish), dairy, and eggs, as well as refined foods like bleached flour, refined sugar, and oil.
Despite never having heart disease in my family, always being thin and active, my arteries have become progressively blocked over the past seven years. And despite open heart surgery seven years ago, three additional surgeries since then for stents, and regularly taking statin’s and other heart medications, my coronary artery heart disease has worsened.
I have one option left if I want to see my grand-daughter Kaitlin grow up and blossom into a beautiful lady, just as her mother and grand mother. After diligent research I believe by going to a plant-based diet, – basically changing my lifestyle and becoming a Vegan – I can reverse, and then end this insidious disease. I have followed the journey of President Clinton and others who overcame this disease by radically changing their eating lifestyle.
It will not be easy to change years of unhealthy eating habits but when you have but one option left you eagerly accept it.
Change is frightening and difficult, and we all need all the support and encouragement we can get when facing it. It’s common for us to deny or try to escape from a major change. I have seen it with many of the clients I coach.But it is time we all change our eating habits, and put an end to the epidemic of heart disease, cancer and diabetes in America.
I was on the Mediterranean Diet, recommended by heart doctors for patients to go on after heart surgery. It however proved to not work for me. I have learned it does not work for many others also. My only chance to stay alive, and reverse my blockages is to change my eating lifestyle, take control of my future, and go on a Plant Based Diet as recommended by Doctor’s Caldwell Esselstyn, Doctor Dean Ornish, and my friend, and personal wellness coach Dr. Katherine Gettys M.D.
I have researched and compiled this list of the 125 Best Plant Based Foods in order to assist others who want to take control of their health, and live a vibrant and active lifestyle.
I hope it proves useful to you on your own journey to health. Every journey begins with faith, hope and a single step. I am reminded of Lao Tzu’s quote in the Tao Te Ching,
….“The journey of a thousand miles begins with but the first step”
Here is our list of the Worlds 125 Best Foods for starting i woman wellness ‘s Plant Based Diet to prevent heart disease and cancer.
Each individual health situation is different, so please use your own body’s signals, and your health physicians advice.
- Apricots -Acai -Apples- Bananas-Blueberries-Cantaloupe
- Cherries-Cranberries-Figs-Grapefruit-Grapes-Gogi Berries
- Incan Berries-Kiwi fruit-Lemon-Limes-Oranges-Papaya
- Asparagus-Avocados-Beets-Bell peppers-Broccoli
- Brussels sprouts-Cabbage-Carrots-Cauliflower
- Celery-Collard greens-Cucumbers-Eggplant
- Fennel-Garlic-Green beans-Green peas-Kale
- Leeks-lettuce-Mushrooms-Mustard greens
- Olives-Onions-Potatoes-Romaine lettuce
- Sea vegetables-Spinach-Squash- Summer Squash
- Sweet potatoes-Swiss chard-Tomatoes-Turnip greens
- Almond Milk- Egg Whites- Greek High Protein Yogurt
Beans & Legumes
- Black beans-Dried peas-Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Kidney beans-Lentils-Lima beans-Miso-Navy beans
- Pinto beans-Soybeans-Tofu and Tempeh
Nuts & Seeds
- Pistachios-Almonds-Cashews-Flaxseeds-Olive oil, extra virgin
- Peanuts-Pumpkin seeds-Sesame seeds-Sunflower seeds
- Barley-Brown rice-Buckwheat-Corn-Lentils-Millet
- Oats-Quinoa-Rye-Spelt-Whole wheat
Spices & Herbs
- Basil-Black pepper-Cayenne pepper-Chili pepper, dried
- Cilantro/Coriander seeds-Cinnamon, ground
- Cloves-Cumin seeds-Dill-Ginger-Mustard seeds
- Stevia – Truvia Sweetner – Molasses-Honey
- 100% Pure Maple syrup
Reiki – Yoga – AIS Stretching – I Ching, Massage, Walking a Labyrinth
- Green tea-White Tea-Chamomile Tea
- Unsweetened natural cocoa -Soy sauce – Water
- Juice Plus – whole food fruit, vegetable, and Vineyard blend capsules
- CoQ10 -Omega 3 oil – Vitamine D
- Juice Plus Protein Shake
- Ensure Protein Supplement -Cacao Beans
- Cacao Powder
- Dark Chocolate, such as Lindt, or Godiva
- Do Not Eat
As far as Do Not Eat foods there are a lot, but basic is:
NO SUGARS, NO FAST FOOD, NO SODA, NO PROCESSED FOODS
To stay out of trouble we shop the ends of the Supermarket, Vegetable & Fruits Section, and Organic Foods Section and avoid the middle of the store with all the processed, boxed and canned foods….Here’s to your good health